There’s nothing quite like a camping trip to get back to nature and enjoy some delicious food in the great outdoors. And what better way to do that than with a sizzling hot meal cooked over an open flame? Take your camp cooking game up a notch with some mouthwatering steak tacos, cooked to perfection on the Otzi Ember grill’s 6-position skewer holder.
Cooking with skewers is one of the most convenient and efficient ways to grill food, especially when you’re cooking in an outdoor setting like on a camping trip or at a backyard BBQ. There are several benefits to cooking food on skewers, including:
- Even Cooking: Skewers allow for even cooking of the ingredients as they are exposed to heat on all sides, especially with Otzi Gear’s 6-position skewer holders on all their flat pack grills. This means you don’t have to worry about some pieces of meat or veggies being overcooked while others are undercooked.
- Portability: Skewers are easy to cook and transport, making them the perfect option for outdoor cooking. They don’t require any special equipment, and you can even assemble them ahead of time and keep them in a cooler until you’re ready to cook.
- Convenience: With skewers, you can combine all your favorite ingredients onto one stick, making them a convenient option for meal prep and cooking. They’re also easy to serve, as you can simply slide the cooked ingredients off the skewer onto a plate or into a tortilla.
- Versatility: Skewers can be used to cook a wide range of ingredients, including meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables. You can mix and match your favorite flavors and textures to create a variety of delicious skewer combinations.
The combination of steak, corn, red onion, and avocado for this steak taco recipe is a match made in flavor heaven. Each ingredient brings its own unique taste and texture to the mix, resulting in a mouthwatering blend of savory, sweet, and creamy flavors that complement each other perfectly.
Steak provides a rich and meaty base for the skewers, adding a depth of flavor that pairs deliciously with the sweet and slightly crunchy texture of fresh corn. The red onion adds a sharp and tangy bite that cuts through the richness of the steak, while the grilled jalapeños add a smoky kick.
The creamy and buttery texture of avocado adds a smooth and delicious contrast to the crunch of the corn and the savory flavors of the steak and onion. Avocado is also packed with healthy fats, making it a nutritious addtion to this tasty dish.
When it comes to serving the skewers, warming the corn tortillas on the grill is the perfect way to add some extra flavor and texture. The heat of the grill toasts the tortilla, giving it a slightly crispy texture and a smoky flavor that adds another layer of deliciousness to the dish. So fire up the grill, assemble your skewers, and get ready to savor the incredible flavors of this irresistible combination.
Steak Taco Skewers Recipe
A delicious and convenient way to enjoy the flavors of Mexican cuisine on a camp grill!
Prep time: 15 minutes (steak is marinated 1-2 hours ahead of time)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Course: Lunch or Dinner
2 cloves garlic - minced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 lb. sirloin steak, cut into 1” pieces
2 corncobs, sliced into 1” pieces
1 red onion, cut into 1” pieces
1 avocado, cut into chunks
1 lime, cut into wedges
4-6 corn tortillas
1 jalapeño, cut into thin slices
1/2 cup cilantro
- 1-2 hours before cooking, combine all marinade ingredients in a sealable container and add steak. Place steak container in cooler or fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare grill, allowing the coals to burn down before cooking.
- While the coals are burning down, alternately thread steak, corn, red onion, and avocado on skewers.
- Once grill is ready, place skewers in skewer holders over coals, rotating often until steak is cooked to desired degree of doneness. This will take about 15 minutes.
- While skewers are cooking, place grill top above skewers. Place tortillas and jalapeño on oiled grill top and cook until tortillas are browned and jalapeños are charred and blistered.
- Remove ingredients from skewers and cut corn off of cobs.
- Add all ingredients to tortillas and top with cilantro, squeezed lime, and hot sauce.
If you try this recipe, be sure to let us know! We’d love to hear your thoughts. Leave a rating and comment below, and tag a photo @otzigear on Instagram for your chance to be featured on our page!