In our family we always make two versions of each recipe; one traditional and one vegan. And we know many families are in the same boat as us with a mixture of different dietary restrictions and preferences. While it can sometimes be more time consuming to make two different meals, we’re happy to say we’ve gained a whole new level of cooking creativity in recent years!
For this camp recipe we were looking for an easy way to make a vegan version of our family candied smoked bacon and eggs recipe. After sampling different pre-made vegan bacon and vegan eggs, we found our favorites!
We recommend using Lightlife Smart Bacon and JUST Egg plant-based eggs. The seasoning will also work well with other vegan bacon alternatives, such as tempeh or carrot bacon. But if you’re looking for something quick in the morning or at the campground, this is a great option.
For the egg alternative, we’ve found that JUST Egg works the best for scrambles and has that eggy flavor and consistency. Just be sure to oil your griddle or pan because this option tends to stick!
We love making this recipe on our flat pack grills, especially our 1-person Spark grill as we’re often just cooking one serving. The griddle plate and skewers are perfect tools for making this recipe extra flavorful!
Vegan Candied Smoked Bacon with Plant-Based Egg Scramble
Take your bacon and eggs to the next level with this sweet, smoky, savory recipe!
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 11 minutes
Grill type: Otzi Spark portable single person grill in stainless steel
6 pieces vegan bacon (we used Lightlife Smart Bacon)
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup JUST Egg (plant based egg)
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
3 green onions, cut into thin slices
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil spray - we recommend Misto
- Start grill with charcoal or wood, and allow to burn down. Place griddle plate on second to lowest setting.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and black pepper in a dish. Apply light layer of olive oil to vegan bacon and dip in mixture, coating both sides.
- Thread onto skewer and place over coals, cooking until bacon appears crispy and caramelized.
- While vegan bacon is cooking, oil griddle plate with olive oil spray. Slowly pour JUST Egg onto griddle plate. Sprinkle green onion on top.
- Place tomatoes on griddle next to JUST Egg. Sprinkle JUST Egg and tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until JUST egg is firm.
- Remove JUST egg, tomatoes, and bacon from grill, then repeat steps for remaining ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, be sure to let us know! We’d love to hear your thoughts. Leave a rating and comment below, and tag a photo @otzigear on Instagram for your chance to be featured on our page!