This is our family’s unique take on the most tried and true breakfast there is; bacon and eggs! A staple breakfast in our household has always been bacon with sunny-side up eggs, or as my niece calls them, “floodies”. A couple years ago we decided to switch things up with the bacon seasoning and we’ve been hooked ever since!
The mixture of sweet and savory in this recipe just can’t be beat, and the cooking method adds the most delicious smoky flavor to the bacon. Whether we’re at home cooking on the back patio or on a family camping trip, we always cook this recipe on our Otzi flat pack grills. All our grills are designed by our family and made in the US.
We recommend using thick-cut bacon, light brown sugar, and pasture raised grade A or AA eggs. We live on a small farm so we use fresh eggs from our pasture raised chickens, and the egg quality really heightens the recipe.
Candied Smoked Bacon with Fried Eggs
Take your bacon and eggs to the next level with this sweet, smoky, savory recipe!
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 11 minutes
3 pieces thick-cut bacon
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
3 green onions, cut into thin slices
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil spray - we recommend Misto
- Start grill with charcoal or wood, and allow to burn down. Place griddle plate on second to lowest setting.
- Oil griddle plate with olive oil spray.
- Place bacon on griddle plate and let cook until the strips begin to buckle and curl, then remove from grill and let cool for one minute.
- Using heat resistant gloves or a hot pad, move griddle plate up to the highest setting. Oil with olive oil spray.
- While bacon is cooling, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and black pepper in a dish and dip bacon in mixture, coating both sides.
- Thread onto skewer and place over coals, cooking until bacon appears crispy and caramelized.
- While bacon is cooking, crack egg and slowly release onto griddle plate. Add green onion on one side of egg and tomatoes on the other. Sprinkle eggs, green onion, and tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until egg white is firm but the yolk is still runny (do not flip).
- Remove egg, tomatoes, green onion and bacon from grill, then repeat steps for remaining ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, be sure to let us know! We’d love to hear your thoughts. Leave a rating and comment below, and tag a photo @otzigear on Instagram for your chance to be featured on our page!